1. Go to your doctor

When you have been discharged from hospital, you should follow up with your GP as soon as you are able, to involve them in your ongoing treatment. They will be able to refer for any further tests, to see specialists of seek psychological counselling following trauma.

Even if you were assessed by ambulance or hospital staff and were cleared of serious injury, you should attend your regular GP shortly after the accident to follow up on any further treatment you require, to discuss options for pain relief and to obtain a referral for any further treatment you may require, such as physiotherapy.

If you did not seek medical treatment following an accident but believe that you were injured, seek medical advice as soon as possible.

2. Report the accident to the police

If the police were not called, or didn’t attend the accident scene, you should report the accident at a police station as soon as possible after the accident. Give the police all the information you have about the accident, including the registration number of the cars involved, the drivers name and contact details, a description of the accident. The police should provide you with an event number.

3. Document the details

The information you will require for insurance purposes is the registration number of the vehicles involved, the name and contact details of the drivers, drivers licence numbers, and the location of the accident. If you have a smart phone or camera with you, take a photo of the following:

  1. The vehicles involved, including the licence plates
  2. The driver’s drivers licence (remember to turn it over to check for current details)
  3. Photos of the damage to your vehicle

4. Complete an Accident Notification Form within 28 days

Even if you were at fault, if you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident in NSW, you should complete an Accident Notification Form and submit it to the CTP insurer for the vehicle involved in the accident within 28 days. The CTP insurer can be found by phoning the Motor Accidents Authority on 1300 656 919.

5. Consult with a Personal Injury Accredited Specialist

When you have been injured in a car accident, you have valuable entitlements to seek compensation from the CTP insurer of the driver at fault. It is important that you receive accurate and timely advice.